At Nutgrove we aim to develop the ability to read with fluency, accuracy and understanding for all of our children. We encourage them to be interested in books and to read with enjoyment.
We also work hard to make sure that we give all of our children a range of reading skills. We believe that reading quality literature opens children up to ideas, experiences, places and times they might never otherwise experience in real life.
As part of our reading provision at Nutgrove we actively encourage reading for pleasure and want to give our children the idea that reading is a pleasurable and fun thing to do!
At our school we believe that…
• reading is at the centre of our curriculum
• being able to read well is a key life skill for all children and every child can develop as a reader
• high quality phonics teaching is an essential part of teaching reading
• children need explicit teaching of comprehension skills to become real readers
• a love of reading can be taught and encouraged at school – just like any other area of the curriculum
• reading for pleasure and reading for purpose are equally important
• providing good quality reading resources is a priority
• developing an environment which supports and encourages reading is vital
• every teacher should be an advocate for reading
• reading with adults at home plays an essential role in developing a love of reading