History of the School
History of the School
Nutgrove Methodist Aided Primary School is one of only two Methodist Voluntary Aided Primary Schools in the United Kingdom. In 1810 Jonas Nuttall, a Liverpool printer, had Nutgrove Hall built as his residence. Jonas Nuttall built a chapel, a small school and made an endowment of £30 per year to pay a teacher in the school. So Nutgrove was one of the earliest Methodist Day Schools when established in 1811. In 1897 a new day school was built on the present school site with funding donated by Mr. F Dixon Nuttall. The school was further enlarged to meet the needs of an increased population in 1929.
In 1990 the Governors decided that the existing buildings were inadequate for the requirements of the educational needs of the 21st Century. With the help of St Helens Metropolitan Borough Council, a bid was made for a new school at an estimated cost of £1,200,000 of which about £180,000 had to be raised by the Governors themselves. The new school building opened in 1997 on the existing site. A service of dedication took place in March 1997 followed by an official opening by the Duke of Gloucester in May 1997. An additional classroom was built onto the school in 1999 to meet increasing demands for places at the school.
In 2005 a new outdoor play area together with a purpose built covered area was developed to enhance the quality of provision for our youngest children. In 2006 we further improved our Key Stage 1 playground and in 2007 our attention turned to improving the Key Stage 2 playground. These improvements included a performance space. We built a multipurpose ball pen at the rear of the school in 2008. A year later the school council designed a trim trail and this was opened in May 2009. Additional pieces of equipment have been added to this trim trail over subsequent years. A community room, called ‘The Wesley Room’, was opened to commemorate the school’s 200th birthday in November 2011. Through 2014-2015 the school has developed a reflection garden and this offers a quiet space for prayer and reflection for everyone. Therefore for over 200 years the school has endeavoured to provide a place of “godliness and good learning” for the children of Nutgrove in accordance with the school motto ‘My Best, Always, Everywhere’.
The school has worked in partnership with the Sankey Valley Methodist Circuit and Playdays Pre-School Group over the past few years to develop a further community resource incorporating a nursery situated between the school’s KS2 playground and Nutgrove Methodist Church. The school is looking forward to further strengthening collaboration and mission work through this exciting development.